Monday, October 13, 2008

What the heck is playing on your blog?

This was the question posed to me by a reader.

I know my song list is such a mish-mash, isn't it? My musical taste is so broad that I had a hard time picking out songs for this blog. I figured that I would try and choose songs that I could listen to over and over again, that are "G"-rated (I'd love to post some Kayne but I think that would prompt some comments), and that have some kinda of meaning for me.

I hope to keep adding/deleting songs as we go along, but for now, here is why I choose the songs I did:

The Rainbow Connection ... This was my father/daughter dance song for our wedding. I wanted something original (if I heard "What a Wonderful World" for a father/daughter dance one more time, I think I was going to lose it), and I wanted something that we could dance to even after a few drinks (shout out to my Dad for the premium open bar!).

100 Years ... if you don't get misty-eyed listening to this song, you have a heart made of stone. This song gets me every time and reminds me always live each day for everything it is worth!

Under Pressure ... Okay, let me make this very clear -- I liked this song BEFORE Vanilla Ice ruined it. This is a great song to sing in the car when no one is around!

Fix You ... Wow, this song is so emotional for me. When Dan and I were going through our miscarriages before we had the boys, I listened to this song over and over and over again for inspiration and hope.

Wide Open Spaces ... This was the song playing when I got my first apartment after college. I love this part, "As she drove away, she heard her Dad say, 'Don't forget to check the oil.'" That is SO my Dad.

Anna Begins ... A great song from my undergraduate days that reminds me to never take any relationship for granted.

Please Forgive Me ... One of Dan's favorite songs. It reminds me of when my parents still had the Lake House in Indiana. Dan and I would play this CD while out in the boat when we anchored in Allen's Creek.

In Your Eyes ... Hello? Have you not seen "Say Anything"? I used to swear that I would marry any guy that held a boom box playing this song over his head.

Same Old Lang Syne ... This is my favorite Christmas song. I love this song, and everyone needs a little Dan Fogleberg on their play list!

Peace Train ... A great and relevant song back in the 70s and now ... scary how if we don't learn from history we are condemned to repeat it.

Don't Dream It's Over ... Originally performed by Crowded House, this was our last private dance at our wedding. While everyone was outside lined up to send us off, Dan and I got one final dance together in private.

No One to Blame ... Because no one is to blame. Good reminder that we need to take responsibility for our actions.

Rocket Man ... This is my parent's song and I love it, too! I always love to hear my Mom sing this song when it comes on -- it is so obvious how much she loves my Dad. I hope Dan and I are like that after 40 years!

Sweetest Thing ... This is a little known "B" side track by one of my all-time favorite bands. I mean, after all, isn't love the sweetest thing?

American Pie ... My connection to this song is a little dorky, but you know the part when it goes, "The players tried to take the field, but the marching band refused to yield" ... when I was a Shakerette on Miami's Marching Band, we would play this song on all of our bus trips to games and the whole band would sing that part really, really loud. Ah, memories!

No comments: