Thursday, November 19, 2009

Look into my eyes!

When I tell people that I'm taking the boys to the eye doctor, they look at me like I'm crazy. It's a good thing I'm used to getting that look from people.

I know most kids don't go to an eye doctor until they start Kindergarten or their parents suspect a problem, but it's different for preemies. There are increased risks of eye problems with preemies due to their eyes not being able to be fully developed before delivery to the oxygen being used to help them breath when the are first born so early.

The boys had their first eye exam before the even left the NICU. Luckily, our boys did not require more than a nasal cannula of room air, and subsequently their eye exams have always been great!
We started out with eye exams every 2 weeks, then every 2 months, and now we see the eye doctor once a year. It's still fairly tramatic since they have to have their eyes dialated (we call it getting "magic raindrops" in their eyes), but this year they got to help participate in the eye exam by naming colors, pictures, letters, etc.
The doctor found no problems again with this eye exam. Woo HOO! That's great news! Dan and I have always joked that we want the boys to have my vision and Dan's teeth. (His eye sight is not great and my teeth were jacked up as a kid.)

I'm happy to end this goodnews post with a picture of Mommy and Noel doing our cheesy "CHEESE!" for the camera! Bye, eye doctor! We'll see you next year!

No comments: